Sunday, April 1, 2012

I saw the Guerrilla Girls perform at the Brooklyn Museum.

And by perform, I mean that I watched two ladies in gorilla masks give a powerpoint presentation of outdated statistics while wearing sensible heels.
snooooooooze.
Ok, so obviously, the Guerrilla Girls are not what they used to be...so this leads me to wonder, ARE THE GUERRILLA GIRLS WHO THEY USED TO BE? Like, for real? Did the same people who did this:
1988.
REALLY think this was effective? Or even slightly aesthetically pleasing?
2009.
All this one's missing is a large handwritten sign that says, "STAY OUT" and it would be a replica of my bedroom door in Jr. High. All I can say is that if stuff like this is all it takes to get a paid slot to speak at the Brooklyn Museum,  Cunts In Action should be pissed.
If you get past the gender issues and mission statement and just look the Guerrilla Girls' work, (the simple act which is also interestingly left out of their agenda)...there's a clear reason why this group isn't relevant anymore: it's just not good.

So maybe, just maybe, the amazing, graphical geniuses who started this group in the 80s are doing other amazing, graphical work now, and what I saw were a couple of imposters collecting a paycheck and spouting a history lesson and adding bullets to their resume instead of actually doing anything about anything. Or maybe people just get old and comfy.

One part of the lecture was a list of tips for aspiring female artists that the Guerrilla Girls gave during a commencement speech. They actually advised to "Be anonymous" because "you'd be surprised the things that come out of your mouth when you wear a gorilla mask." ...or a burqua?  ...or start a blog? Whatever.

In their defense, one of them had a hinged jaw gorilla mask that actually moved when she talked. That must have been hard to come by. Also, when they were showing a still of a billboard showcased in Hollywood before the Oscars denouncing the academy for its ignoring of female writers, directors, and actors of color (and then took credit for Halle Berry and Denzel Washington's wins), I felt like I had gone back in time. It's not 2002 anymore, but I think these Guerrilla Girls may think it is. For $14 (for a LECTURE?! Brooklyn Museum, get it together.), I guess I'll be a good sport and take the momentary trip, but be super glad to return to a time when there are so many amazing female artists actually doing things. And probably not just because they're female or because statistics against doing so are so staggering.

Did you know that 88.5% of females are predisposed to walk on their knuckles instead of in high heels? No? Well, I made that up.



No comments:

Post a Comment